Skip to main content

FINALLY TRAVELING AGAIN

Keep Reading, Video at the end of article


It's been a long four months, with nowhere new to go, explore or adventure to. For someone who is used to traveling on a semi-regular basis, this quarantine time frame has been very difficult in more ways than one.

So, when the opportunity arose to spend a weekend away in Mystic, Connecticut, I jumped at it. Was I a little bit nervous? Yes, of course but the idea of staying in a hotel, a different set of walls, sounded absolutely amazing. I was a child the last time I visited Mystic, so it was also going to be nice to get a refresher on the town and area.

From where I've been in quarantine, in New Jersey, it was about a 3 hour drive to Mystic. Arriving at the Hilton Mystic, which is across the street from the famous, Mystic Aquarium, I was shocked to see the parking lot of the hotel, pretty packed. Did other people get the memo that it was safe to travel before I did? As I approached the doors of the hotel, I was immediately reminded to wear my mask and to keep a social distance, but once in the hotel, there was a sign that said according to CT's policies, you must wear a mask only if you cannot social distance. Unsure of what really to do, I kept my mask on.

There were people in the hotel! Probably the most amount of people I have seen in months! Even a line to check in! I was so happy to see the hotel doing so well, being that the tourism industry got hit so hard this year.

At check in, which happened behind plexiglass, they told me how no one has been in my room in over 24 hours since it was cleaned and there is a seal on the door of the room to prove this. I got up to my room, seal in-tack, which of course was great to see, and the room looked normal per usual. The television remote was in a plastic seal, to prove that it had been cleaned and there were some stickers placed around the room with information about how the room had been cleaned, along with a website to visit to find out more information. Everything looked normal and clean.

The NEW thing was that, unlike normal times, where you could have your room cleaned everyday during your stay, with fresh towels, new amenities, and the bed being made, was not going to happen. The whole idea is that no one comes into your room, besides you, during your stay. I can understand this concept, but thank goodness I was only staying for 2 nights because if it was for any longer, I think I would have wanted someone to come in and at least take out the trash in the room. However, the hotel was happy to accommodate, by giving you more towels or amenities, by either hanging them on the door knob or by giving them to you at the front desk.

Next was the food situation. Without realizing it, Connecticut had opened up more than New Jersey, so indoor dining was available. But that didn't matter because it was such a nice day that I wanted to eat outside anyway. Inside the Hilton Mystic, their restaurant, Irons was open for dinner and breakfast, so I ate there in their outdoor patio, that had a fire pit and string lights hanging above, for you to look at, as you look up at the sky. For dinner, I started with an Irontini, their vodka cocktail, and then as per Chef Jamey Hence's recommendation, I ordered the braised short rib and their new shrimp and scallop scampi. Both delicious and filling dishes. 

Not only is the Hilton Mystic across the street from the Mystic Aquarium, but it is also diagonally across from the Olde Mistick Village, which I walked through after dinner. Most of the stores were closed, while I strolled through at that hour, some restaurants were open, but it was just nice to have somewhere to walk around, without getting back in the car, after eating a filling meal.

My first night staying at the Hilton Mystic was perfect. I stayed on the 2nd floor, and it was quiet and peaceful. Just what I needed! I started my day with breakfast, just down the road from the Hilton, at the The Mystic Diner & Restaurant. Had a great breakfast, ate outside, and I felt good about supporting a local business.

Then I drove down to the Mystic Seaport, which was about a 10 minute drive. I drove past the Mystic Seaport Museum, which is more of a historical experience, that apparently I did as a child, but it wasn't in the plan for that day. After finding free parking on the street, I walked around the seaport, past the restaurants and stores, taking notes on how each store had different signs explaining their social distance protocols. But people were out and about, enjoying life and the day. It was so relaxing just to sit by the harbor, watching the boats come and go.

While at breakfast, I scheduled my visit to go to the Mystic Aquarium, later that day, from 4-6pm. That's part of their new protocol during their re-opening, choosing a timed visit. So around 3:45pm, we drove across the street, because lucky for me, it started pouring and I wanted to get there early enough to go through the temperature check. This was really interesting. I walked into this little room, where a man sat in the corner at a desk, protected by plexiglass, and as I stood more than 6 feet away from him, without ever touching me with a thermometer, he took my temperature and this determined whether or not I was able to enter the aquarium. It is wild what technology can do! So with my healthy temperature I entered the aquarium and even in the rain, it was so enjoyable to see the mammals! Although, I was extremely grateful for the indoor exhibits as well. Social distancing was enforced throughout the aquarium along with the requirement to wear your mask the whole time. Even some of the new mammals were quarantined before they were brought out on public display. I'm just so glad the aquarium was open and I was able to go and visit.

For dinner, that night, I went back to the Olde Mystic Village to eat at Go Fish, a local Connecticut restaurant. Without realizing it, it was my first time eating inside at a restaurant in months. They had the tables spread out from one another and all the employees were wearing masks. The food was delicious and flavorful. I have to say though, it is a strange concept, to walk into the restaurant with a mask on, take it off at the table to eat, but then walk through the restaurant with the mask back on after eating to leave, after my breath has already been put out into the air, but whatever it's fine. Wear a mask, stay safe.

After another pleasant night's sleep at the Hilton Mystic, I had breakfast downstairs in their Irons Restaurant. From the rain the night before, their courtyard was still damp so we ate breakfast inside. Stuffed french toast with apple filling and smoked salmon with a bagel was what I had, with of course, plenty of coffee. 

It was a quick little trip away from home, but, boy, did it make a difference in my attitude and whole outlook. It was just SO NICE to go away, having something different to do, all while still feeling safe. 

Will this be the first of many FunSized Frolics post-Covid? Only time will tell!

More of a visual person? Watch this video to see my experience in Mystic:


[ Follow FunSized on Instagram, Facebook, Twitter & YouTube ]

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Everybody Needs to be Compensated Properly, Equitably, & Above Board

image from @evanrosskatz instagram Amanda Seyfried said it best “Everybody needs to be compensated for their work. That’s f*cking easy.” She said this in reference to the recent WGA strikes happening in Hollywood. However, I would like to take her quote and apply it to what I’ve noticed the issues are with how the entertainment industry is ran here in Florida.   After working in the entertainment industry for over 10 years in New York City, I expected some things to be handled differently in Florida but not to the extent that I have witnessed. The biggest issue here is that people are, simply, not compensated for their work.   Let’s start off with, how Florida does not see the value in models. Business owners believe that if they provide you with a free item from, let’s say their restaurant, so a cocktail, that’s enough compensation to use your likeness and image in perpetuity on all mediums and formats. This is so wrong. Modeling is a profession and it should be treated as su...

Apple Picking Season Is Here! 🍎

Labor Day has passed and the cooler temperatures are slowly approaching, which means Fall is almost here and it is time for APPLE PICKING! Many farms, at least the ones that I found in Central New Jersey, are still allowing people to access their farms for PYO (pick your own) apples, however they all have different precautions and procedures; some have timed admission slots, or are only allowing apple picking on certain days of the week, etc. So I would highly recommend checking their websites and calling the farms directly, (even if you go to the same one every year) to find out what their current procedures are.  The big difference I noticed this year, when it came to visiting a farm for apple picking, was that a lot of them were charging fees for apple picking. I'm not sure if this "fee" is covid-related, but the idea of paying to access a farm and then additionally paying for the apples you pick, was not something I wanted to do, so the goal was to find a farm that di...

September Self Care Awareness Month

September is Self Care Awareness Month and I have been making a conscious effort to take care of myself this month! I think it is so important, especially now, after spending so much time in quarantine, to take care of yourself and your mental health. So, I wanted to share with you a few of the ways I have been taking care of myself. If you follow me on instagram , you know how much I truly enjoy exercising and taking time out of my day for working out. I use Tone It Up's App for work out videos and toning moves. I have been using these girls' work outs for years. I love how they keep the moves and routines different, so you never get bored. My friend Alyssa Cerrachio , is a personal trainer and group fitness instructor, and she does IG Live Work Outs, which I also really enjoying doing and sometimes even partake in. I met her when I took her classes at Athleta's Studio in NYC and I just fell in love with her energy and how she challenges you and strengthens you during her...